Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Recipe: Stone Soup

I love soup! It is so yummy and tasty and soothing! Best of all, soup in easy to make & freezes & reheats well!

Hillary posted a great recipe for 'Stone Soup' from your food storage!


STONE SOUP

Stone (optional ;)
4-5 Cups water
3-4 tsp beef bouillon
1/2 cup FD corn
1/2 cup FD peas
1/2 cup FD green beans
1/4 cup FD celery
1/4 cup FD onion
1 potato, diced (or potato dices)
1/3 cup carrot dices
1 1/2 cups FD ground beef
1 cup instant rice

1 tsp thyme
1 bay leaf
salt and pepper to taste

Clean the stone and place it in your pot (optional of course).  Add water and bouillon and bring to a boil.  Add all other ingredients and simmer about 10 minutes or until all ingredients are heated and rehydrated.  Enjoy with cheese sprinkled on top.

This could be a great food storage meal in an emergency.  Keep the book Stone Soup with your food storage and in an emergency you can read the book together and then have kids help assemble their own stone soup and have a great time eating their creation.  It would be a great diversion from whatever crisis is at hand and also help get the kids to eat their veggies! 

I love that Hillary admits in her post that she "didn't exactly measure the ingredients". I habitually 'don't exactly measure' and throw things together! I would love to hear from my readers: Are you a measure-er or do you throw things together?

I was always a big fan of the story of Stone Soup. Some of my favorite memories are reading the story with my mommy and recreating our own stone soup! I think this week the Wee Ones and I will read Stone Soup and make this yummy dish! This would also make a great homeschool activity! Or provide some great entertainment and yummy food on a rainy day! I think I may also use this recipe to create a meal in a jar! Just put all your dry ingredients in a mason jar! Add water and you have a quick easy meal that is ready to eat! What a great addition to your Home Store! (Would make a great gift too!) When you are working with freeze-dried yummy Thrive foods, the possibilities are endless!!



~ Go to TawnysThrivingHome.com to shop products and get the best deals on food storage and emergency preparation products.~
~Always be in the know… Sign Up for my Newsletter~

No comments:

Post a Comment